How you can help a GEN Z deal with negative emotions.
Everything in life is feeling dependent. It is our feelings or emotions that drive our actions. We don’t act independently, we act from how we feel whether positive or negative. If we consistently allow negative emotions to permeate our lives, we will consistently attract and produce negative results in our lives.
The Millennials and GenZers are the two generations with most emotional issues. According to a recent study, 3 out of 5 youths (16-25) have various emotional issues ranging from loss of a loved one or being from a troubled home to sexual, physical or verbal abuse which has resulted into negative emotions like low self esteem, anger, bitterness and for some it’s lack of trust. The study also shows that mostly Millennials and GenZers who had single parenting or what is now known as absentee parenting were affected more. It is the reason they are called the ED Generation (emotionally deficient generation).
So, here are a few tips on what to do.
1. Find the trigger thought pattern. The source of every emotion or feeling is thought, the thought realm is the conscious realm. In this realm, your mind has the ability to reject, ignore or accept any idea that flows into it. The idea we internalize is what shapes our emotions whether negative or positive. It is our thoughts that control our emotions. So when in a negative state Ask yourself, what thought is causing this feeling? When we become aware of the trigger thought, it’s easier to control or switch to positive feelings.
2. Change your Interpretation of Events. The meaning you are giving to things are the reasons you are having those emotions (negative/ positive). NO-THING has meaning in life. Yes, even the ones that have become generally accepted. Every external experience or event that happened to us is raw information with no intrinsic meaning. We give meaning to things from who we are or have become through the things we have LEARNT while growing up, from environment and personal experiences. So to change the meaning or your interpretation of things you have to UNLEARN certain things in those areas.
3. Do not joke with affirmations. Since your thoughts are the trigger to your feelings,you need to control it by the use of Affirmations. You don’t control your thoughts with your thoughts, you control it with your words. The moment you start feeling those negative emotions, start saying something positive to yourself. Speak how you would love to feel not how you are feeling.
4. Talk To Someone.We are not created for isolation but for connection. Find someone with better understanding than you and talk to them. You can also see the help of a therapist.
5. Seek the help of HIGHER POWER – Irrespective of your beliefs, there’s one TRUTH. We are all products of the INFINITE God. No one knows a product more than the manufacturer. He has the capacity to alter a state in split seconds. There is no negativity around Him. He made us and so He can always remake us if He has to do it.